Why High Cholesterol is Harmful To Your Health
High Cholesterol a little background:
You’d be surprised as to how many times I met with people (in the last 25 years) to talk about their high cholesterol concerns. Not only is cholesterol management on most middle aged people’s minds these days…treating it with drugs is a HUGE profitable business!
But I really worry about the long term consequences of all of these cholesterol lowering drugs on liver cells…. one cannot live without a liver…so we better protect ours….
It won’t do us much good to lower our cholesterol to prevent heart disease only to die of liver cancer in the end…those blood tests you are required to take during these drug regimens aren’t only for you…they protect the drug company too…let us not forget the tale of Vioxx and how long they knew it could cause heart attacks and strokes…and what about the highly addictive nature of nicotine enriched cigarettes…. disclosed many years later…after the Joe Camel cartoons got our children to smoke, maybe for the rest of their lives….buyer beware…. I don’t care about lawsuits or vengeance…it’s people I care about…. let us look before we leap…
So let’s get cholesterol savvy…shall we? An educated patient…is a healthy patient…
BUT…before we begin let me caution you that a drastic drop in cholesterol can cause cancer all by itself, or be a sign of cancer…so we are not into extreme measures…normal cholesterol plays a positive role in the body…. whereas high cholesterol damages the body…
Most people now know that there are two common ways that high cholesterol can develop in people: from the diet, and from the body’s own cholesterol factory. We will touch on both sides of the fence in this article. (Most synthetic cholesterol drugs focus on influencing the liver not to make cholesterol. Herein lies the danger of tampering with liver cellular function.)
Since 999 out of 1000 people can positively affect cholesterol levels by diet alone, the first step is to understand how cholesterol gets out of control in the first place.
Why Does The Body Make Cholesterol In The First Place?
Cell Membrane Repair: Cells are surrounded and protected by a fat (lipid) membrane. This process of maintaining the protective cell membrane is always on going and the cells take essential fatty acids (EFA) to manufacture the lipid cholesterol they need in response to demand.
For example, even a tiny sip of alcohol dissolves in and fluidizes the membranes surrounding our cells, especially in the liver, which acts to get rid of the poison. The first response of the cells is to beef up cholesterol to bring the cell membrane back to a less watery fluid state where it is most vulnerable to destruction. As the liver manages to detox the alcohol by dissolution, the cell membranes harden and some of the cholesterol is shed to create and restore a perfectly balanced cell membrane. The excess cholesterol is recycled back into EFAs to be used for other cell membrane repair projects.
The cells are not the only little cholesterol factories. The intestines, liver, sex glands, adrenal glands and the placenta of a growing baby all made cholesterol for their own specific purposes. Some miscarriages are the result of faulty cholesterol production/utilization since the placenta uses cholesterol to make the hormone progesterone, which keeps the pregnancy from being terminated. The adrenal glands (stress glands) increase cholesterol production all by themselves under stressful circumstances. This is why stress is a factor in raising serum cholesterol levels all by itself.
In Response to Diet: Through a series of biochemical steps, the body links 15 two-carbon acetates (vinegars) together to form a single 30-carbon chain. Enzymes act as catalyst to strip off three of the carbons to end up with a single 27-carbon acetate chain.
Now what is important about all this is knowing the dietary sources of 2 carbon acetates because these molecules are the “raw material” for cholesterol production. If you have a diet rich in 2 carbon acetates, then you will have high cholesterol production…. period!
The best sources of 2 carbon acetates from highest to lowest:
To Promote Vital Bodily Functions:
- Any form of refined sugar
- Refined starches, pasta, cakes, pies, cookies
- Meat, liver being the highest
- Dairy Products (Whole Milk, Butter)
- Shellfish and Fish
- Without cholesterol, there can be no Vitamin D production from exposure to sunshine. Scientists are studying the link between breast and colon cancer and low levels of Vitamin D. Could these cancers be stimulated by impaired cholesterol production, high carb diets which push cholesterol production, or cholesterol lowering drugs?
- Steroid (sex) hormones are manufactured from cholesterol. It is interesting that sex hormone imbalances occur during the period of mid life where cholesterol management becomes a real issue in both men and women. Could artificially lowering cholesterol grossly affect the manufacturing of vital sex hormones that translate into loss of libido, erectile dysfunction and even sensation during sex? It’s all too coincidental to me…. and we already know that erectile dysfunction due to the clogging of small blood vessels in the male organ can be the first sign of heart disease, high cholesterol levels, and hardening of the arteries.
- The adrenal glands manufacture adrenal corticosteroid hormones from cholesterol. These important hormones include aldosterone, which regulate water balance through our kidneys and raise or lower sodium correctly, which has a pronounced effect upon blood pressure levels throughout the body. Cortisone produced from cholesterol by the adrenal glands is the anti-inflammatory hormone and releases glucose when get under stress to prepare our bodies for fight or flight. Again I wonder if tampering with artificially tampering with cholesterol production in the body does not lead to serious additional health disorders and complications. Ask any middle-aged person who is battling arthritis, insulin resistance/diabetes or high blood pressure that question. It is not a coincidence that most of these people also have a cholesterol problem along with their other problems.
- The skin, the largest organ in the body, uses quite a bit of cholesterol to repair and shield the skin from all kinds of damage. It acts as a fatty covering and you can see evidence of it on the skin if you stand in the rain and let water bead up on your forearms.
- Without cholesterol, bile acids made by the liver could not be produced. Bile is very important to break down fats, assist in digestion, and digest fat vitamins like Vitamin E. Poor digestion is rooted in impaired liver function and impaired cholesterol synthesis.
What Can A Person Do to Lower & Maintain A Healthy Cholesterol Level?
- Shut off the dietary faucet by trimming all visible fat from meats and controlling carbohydrate consumption very carefully. If you eat sugar then you deserve the negative consequences of high cholesterol, don’t write to me at that point.
- Find a way to reduce stress, especially emotional stress that taxes the adrenal glands to produce excess cholesterol as a means of preparing for survival.
- Correct underlying vitamin and mineral deficiencies, which lead to excessive cholesterol production. Since most people with a cholesterol problem have widespread nutritional deficiencies, choose a comprehensive multi-vitamin. Go
“Best Vitamin and Mineral Supplement for Natural
Health” page and read about all of the best choices available.
- Realize that you may be that 1 in a thousand person who will manufacture excessive cholesterol no matter what you do. If that is the case, then it is critical that you take at least 800 IU of natural
daily to help prevent the damage that rotting and hardening cholesterol does to the arteries of your heart. I would add at least 100 mg. of Coenzyme Q10
daily to assist in oxygenating the heart since free radicals will no doubt try to gobble up vital oxygen to these delicate tissues, promoting coronary ischemia.
Please subscribe to my Free Newsletter. In each issue I share important Natural Health Remedies and information. It is absolutely Free, and I will never share your email address with anyone.
© and Remedies-for-Natural-Health.com All
Click Here for Disclaimer Information